nav bar

Image Map

Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY Simple Christmas Tree Topper

We're experiencing some crazy WARM temps here in Southern Illinois and it makes it just a little difficult to get in the Christmas spirit!  Our decorations and tree have been spread out all over the living floor for the past WEEK now!  With 70 degree forecasts, my Christmas creativity has gone MIA!  I finally attempted a few projects today, though I think my floor may be even more cluttered now...
 
Task = Tree Topper.  I can never seem to find one that fits our style, so we decided we'd make one of our own.  Our house and tree have a rustic country theme, so we needed the topper to follow suit! This is what we ended up with...
 
 
 
Here's how we did it...
 
We started out with some sticks...straight out of the yard.  We actually used some limbs from one of our overgrown "Rose of Sharon" trees.  These worked out great, and didn't seem as fragile as a regular ol' tree limb would have been.  They had a little stretch to them which definitely helped.  Plus I liked the "knobby" look they had.  We cut them to equal lengths, about 8 inches long.  We separated them into 5 parts, each part having 4 limbs. 
 
 
Then, we tied off each end with a knot.  We used twine, but anything to match your decor would work!
 
 
 Next, start assembling your star.  Place one piece at a time, tying them together as you go.
 
 
 
 
 Then, we had a star!
 
 
 But....we wanted more!  I found some of these red strands in one of our boxes and knew they were exactly what we needed!  (plus, they were wire based, which meant no additional supplies needed to make them stay in place!)
 
 
I pulled apart the strands piece by piece and wove them in and around the limbs of my star. 
 
 
I added and removed until I had the look I wanted.  And, ended up with this!
 
 
There it is!  Our simple, DIY Christmas Tree Topper!  It fits our rustic look and seemed to fit perfectly on the top of our tree!  Even better, this tree topper was FREE! That's my favorite kind of project!
 
Have you created anything for your tree this year?  We'd love to hear about it!  Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you have a great day!

Linking up here!


Holiday


~Emily

6 comments:

  1. Your star turned out really cute! Great idea for your rustic theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! Love that you used several branches together. And I like your red strands. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute Emily! You should link this up at the Dollar Store linky party going on on my blog!! It totally qualifies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...